Monday, January 30, 2006

Abstract

For a while now, I've been trying to get promoted as a trainer. You would not believe how many times I have submitted an application that I honestly think the HR officer knows me already (she may even be praying that I get promoted just so I stop sending her those application papers!).

But, zilch, nada. No promotion yet. After the nth time and hoping against hope that just this time (haven't they had enough of my application papers, already?), I'd bag it, I still get the monumental, unceremonious, slap-resounding, NO! (with the oh-so-polite, thank you for the interest, note at the end).

So tragic, it's almost funny. What about those golden proverbs of good things come to those who wait? Or, practice makes perfect? Or even, try and try until you succeed?

Well, I hate to be sarcastic here but the one who worded these may have had his or her head buried in the sand. The rat race is, to put it bluntly, way harsher. And, it's definitely not the meek and the humble who inherits the fruits of the earth (not in this world, anyway).

Really, who am I to gripe? Truth is, I've been blessed with a small but very easy, non-stressful, totally laid-back account. It's actually very cool. When I compare myself to my batchmates who've been assigned to other accounts and have resigned because of the stress, I can only count myself lucky. After all, I get to sit here, do practically nothing, just answer a few calls, make a few sale, put in the specified 8-hour shift and it's a clinch. I get to draw a fair paycheck bi-monthly. No sweat.

Though, human nature being what it is, I still long for more at work. More challenge (an inherent masochist?), bigger paycheck (understandable, this), and a higher position (still reasonable, I believe). So, I keep on trying and will continue to do so until I get promoted or resigned to my fate, whichever comes first, and hie off to the nearest competitor and try my luck there.

However, I've been noticing that some of my friends, who have been promoted already, are having second thoughts. Actually, deep, dark thoughts about their promotions that most, if not all, are just waiting to hand in their resignations.

I was like, what??? Here I am, all but jumping in my seat and waving the red flag to get promoted and you're resigning? What the...?

In retrospect, it's not so crazy. These people are smart (no matter how you may think, otherwise) and they're good at their job. They're trainable and their practical. They have differing reasons for wanting to go but the fact is, they have lost heart. It may be politics, it may be the people that they're working with, it may be because of one or a combination of all the other things.

I am not at that stage yet, I still like it here, after all, but I do see and understand. When I think about it, maybe it's not yet time for me to be promoted. I do believe in the Grand Design. In the concept that everything has its place and time. He knows all this and I put my trust in Him.

I just hope that my wallet understands this also.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://dcsjxmnb.com/fabn/adpa.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://dsbisoai.com/sijd/pzqc.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://dcsjxmnb.com/fabn/adpa.html | http://xsaqubdp.com/ccqs/lwci.html

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »