Saturday, April 02, 2005

Pope John Paul II

The Pope is dead. The words are stark in their simplicity. Simple and yet searing.

I am a Catholic but I don't go to church regularly. I am one of those who believe that faith goes beyond the religious observance of church rituals and ceremonies. That above all, one's personal relationship with God and everyday thoughts and actions reflect a person's true character and faith.

But, upon hearing the news, I was deeply saddened, almost as if a relative has died. He was miles away and I hadn't even met him but the pain I felt was personal.

I saw that I wasn't the only one who felt that way. Millions felt grief that most of them cried. It was a tribute to him. And served only to emphasize how deeply he had touched our lives.

What's comforting though is, the immediate sense of acceptance after. We feel that it was right and that it was time for him to move on.

We lost a beloved Pope. He who has been our guide to our Heavenly Father has been called home. But, the legacy of faith and peace and goodwill he has left behind are so great that just as he has served God's people in life, so shall he too, in death.